Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: X-Ray Spectre, Supercruiser



My immediate reaction after clicking play on X-Ray Specter’s song Supercruiser was, “Well fuck me, another Black Keys knock off who couldn’t afford a Big Muff.” This thought was then promptly punched out of my mind when the beautifully lo-fi vocals kicked in. Having expected the usual surburban-white-boy-pretending-to-be-Robert-Johnson voice, I was happily surprised to hear the wash of echo and vaguely drunken choir instead. I normally don’t dig the heavily treated vocal style but paired with the fuzzed out guitar lick, it managed to transcend both cliches and became something I couldn’t help but head bop along to.

While I couldn’t tell you what the lyrics were to save my life, (“Take a ride / Put on overdrive / Have some alien fried pie”?) I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter. If your soul isn’t soothed by the wah solo towards the end than you’re dead inside and don’t deserve to ride on one of the space ATVs in the artwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment