Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: The Harmonica Lewinskies, Horizontal Yellow



The Harmonica Lewinskies' LP is called Dad Rock, and that's pretty much what the instrumental octet delivers: all the genres dads like mish-mashed into two songs (meant to be played together). Horizontal Yellow is a horn-laden funk, soul, jazz, I dunno, klezmer medley with a campy blues guitar solo and soaring horn flutters. Horizontal Blue is an escalating, repetitive tune that starts off with a bossa nova style beat and devolves into a mess of a ska-punk song before unexpectedly jumping into a short cover of the Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)." I guess if they were playing some last call bar on the Lower East Side or my cousin's bar mitzvah or something I wouldn't be pissed. Funny name though.

By Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment