Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: Tom Barrett, Home Is Where We Hide



Sometimes a track may not stick with you unless you listen to it at the right time of the day, you're in the right mindset, or you're under the proper dosage of Kentucky medicine. Well I write this review now, waking up for work at 4 am. I felt compelled to write it now because when I listened to Tom Barrett's "Home Is Where We Hide," I was floored. It was the right mixture of rhythm and melody to get me going for the day. Barrett's voice is raspy and robust like a cup of coffee. I'd call it breakfast blues. I'm coining that phrase, so don't steal it.

"Home Is Where We Hide" is steady like a freight train. The song is from his new LP, "All is Right," which I will continue to listen to today. Barrett has a raspy open vocal like that of Jay Bennett from Wilco or Ben Kweller. It's right up my alley. The guitar and piano work drives me right back home to the swamps of New Jersey. Stellar work.

By Dan McLane                              

(guitarist/vocalist for the Harmonica Lewinskies)
(read their review)

No comments:

Post a Comment