Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: Nova Luz, Streets



Nova Luz’s “Streets” is a simple and sparse ballad that feels incredibly intimate. Whispered poetic verses rest just above repetitive and increasingly discordant finger-picked guitar, intertwined with beautiful resolutions, opening and resolving landing with the line: “Speak the streets they to me.” The poetry itself is pointed and leaves you seeking resolve, which may have actually been achieved with the verse but not necessarily as desired. The line “Dreams I had to let go, they were violent, I become my machine” is ominous, even if in some form of resolution.

All told, the song conjures images of Elliott Smith or Cat Power – or in this case Nova Luz – sitting with their guitar on the bedroom floor with a spinning four-track adjacent. And I’m thankful to have shared in the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment