Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: The Pebble That Saved The World, Joey's Song



I enjoyed this song. It starts off with some mumbling about train sounds before breaking into a groove reminiscent of early Modest Mouse, or maybe even the general sound of Pacific Northwestern basements circa 1997. At least this is how I think they must have sounded back then. There's a tried-and-true dynamic shift halfway through. Soft, lispy vocals about a boy who can't finish anything become harsh growls. Muffled guitars and slight percussion give way to heavy strums, windy bass-playing and a crude backbeat. It's all crudely played and crudely recorded which seems to be the thing these days, but that's okay. It reminds me of the glory days of Up and K Records when everything sounded like it came so easy, but behind the simplicity, there was some genius to the tunes themselves. I'm not sure if that exists here, but fuck it. I can almost smell the cheap beer and feel the low ceiling above my head. That's what counts, right?

By Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment