Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: Bee, Dream Replay




  This is an experiment. I was given a track to review, from a band I'd not heard of, Bee. The track was called "Dream Replay." I was expecting a studio track, but it was a live recording, which is interesting. The stereo mic recording (I'm assuming here) hits me right in my soft spot for bootlegs. The overall impression I get from the tone of the song and laid back barroom atmosphere is one of late summer. The sun just went down , but I've been day drinking, and I wander out onto the porch (this bar has a porch!) to smoke a cigarette and lean on a railing with my beer half-full. I'm staring off into space, over-looking a sleepy little mountain town and just feelin' the breeze and kinda diggin' the band in the background.
     All that being said, I am on the porch smoking and not in front rocking out. The song reaches a pretty nice peak, although the guitarist seems to be against or afraid of using pedals, which is fine. I do find the tone of the guitar to be welcoming and non-confrontational, but it has the potential to go much further, especially considering these guys all seem to be really capable musicians. The trio is really tight, they obviously play together a lot.
     The vocals lack definition because of their bootleggy nature, but they are non-offensive. Pretty standard fare for your average jam band, with lyrics that seem to be about thinking a lot and remembering things, which is what happens when you eat mushrooms and listen to jam bands. This track would be great if I were tripping, probably. It certainly got better after I got high. We all expect less from jam bands in the vocal and lyrical departments, because the musicianship is what shines.
     This song would not hold my attention at a festival, but I don't dislike it. It certainly is a seemingly flawless performance. Honestly Bee sounds like a really good band. They've got a solid start, but certainly a long way to go if they want to contend with the never-ending stream of competition on the jam scene.

By Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment