Monday, March 23, 2015

Peer Review: Brook Pridemore, Brother Comfort




I don’t know if my opinion on this track is based on the fact that the lyrics are posted in paragraph form or what, but it kind of feels like the lyrics were written as a story, and then set to music; as if melody and refrain were secondary notions. It’s a weird feeling that’s unique, and I appreciate it for that, but I’m not sure it really holds up as more than a jumble of words without a super clear story line, OR, a singalong-able chorus. It’s worth taking a listen for sure, because the band is decent, if perhaps somewhat 80’s jazzy pop sounding. There’s a Paul Simon feel in here somewhere; I guess the backing track is somewhere between Graceland, and maybe Leonard Cohen’s I’m Your Man. I would like to hear more songy-ness from the vocals, but maybe that’s just me.

By Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment